Monday, September 30, 2013

Braille map of Washington DC


47h x 70w finished
"Well that's pretty unique" I thought to myself when I saw
the listing for the map in the auction:
VINTAGE PLASTIC BRAILLE MAP, FOUR SECTION MAP OF WASHINGTON DC, FOUR PIECES FIT TOGETHER , ALL IN BRAILLE INCLUDING THE WRITING AND THE MAP, RAILROADS, STREAMS AND ROADS IN BRAILLE, FROM 1976  "


There was one bid already for 0.99 so I put in the next bid with my maximum set to $20.
The end of the auction came along and holy cow I won the map for $1.24! 
Add in the buyers premium of 0.19 and 
sales tax of 0.07 the total came out to $1.50! 


I used 2x3s and my Kreg Jig to make the frame.
This was the first time using my Kreg jig and now I want
to use it on everything ... soooo easy

2x3 frame and ripped strips of plywood for finish framing
It took me a few days to decide how to mount the map pieces because they
don't match up to each other squarely.


I'm guessing that's from cutting them off
of whatever they were mounted on last.  I finally decided to set them
window-pane style ... leaving just a slight gap between each piece.  Some sections
are gapped more than others but that can't be helped.


I spray glued all four pieces to plywood underlayment cut to size,
and then ripped some grade A scrap plywood for the framing.
Finishing off with simple trim in the front.


The finished project weighs a ton but it looks great!
We have it hung in the front room but it's quite dark in there
so I brought it out on the front porch to take get a better photo.
The finished size is 47"h x 70"w



St Elizabeth Park then ...  now Oxon Cove Park maybe???





2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is awesome! Why did they stop making them, I wonder? As a resident of the Metro area, this is quite a historical find. Your frame really makes it. Good job, great score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mar gar et!
      I really just wanted a simple frame. The map itself is the star, I didn't want anything to draw the eye away from that, just complement it ;)

      Delete