Saturday, May 19, 2012

The sofa is finished!


Here is the rundown:
- refinished frame
- retied coil springs
- new padding
- new stuffing
- new lush velvet
- antique european grain sacks ( laundered &
sanitized ... good as new)

Basically it's a brand new sofa on an antique Late Classicism (1835-1850) mahogany frame!

One grain sack was used to cover the front

2 similar colored sacks were used to cover the back
The grain sack came with the letters KC embroidered on it, that's how the farmers
could tell which sacks were theirs.
I had originally considered painting the frame but couldn't 
bring myself to do it.  
Even though it's mostly veneer the crotch cut 
mahogany is 162+ years old and 
deserves the respect of not being covered up. 
The strip of trim at the base was blending 
in too much though so I did 
put some gold paint on that and rubbed it down
so the gold stayed only in the recesses and now the trim pops!

Here is a before shot:

BEFORE: red velvet was at least the second covering it had on it, before that was a green fabric.
AFTER: I followed the original frame tufting detail and it really makes a difference.

BEFORE: years of grime built up on the frame
AFTER: nastiness gone and lovely flame goodness shining
You can check out the whole journey with this piece by clicking on the Mahogany Empire Sofa label
at the bottom of this post and to the right.


14 comments:

  1. OMG! This is beautiful! No words could accurately describe how much talent went into this piece. Great job! I'm spreading the word about your fantastic abilities.

    your neighbor,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous. I am in love with the updated upholstered look, and love that you left the frame wood. Great work, thanks for sharing. Visiting from Primitive and Proper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is SO cool! and i love how you have it staged in the woods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made her so fresh and so clean clean! Love her! She had great bones and you took her to the next level. Now following, A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! It's beautifil! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful. If you weren't clear across the country, it'd be mine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great job! Did you reupholster yourself?? Awesome...wish I could do that, I have to rely on a great upholsterer that I know....but it still expensive.
    You can see my sofa (waiting to be sold as is) at http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I did all of the work on it ; )

      Delete
  8. That is beautiful! You did a wonderful job. I just started tearing apart a chair to redo. I think I may wish I had just slip covered it but I really want this one completely redone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the double cushions! I have a sofa that will eventually need new cushions due to basset hound claws...I'm totally stealing your double cushions idea...

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruthie you are one talented girl. That looks amazing. Love the grain sack finish... the initials just add to the story. I am sure someone is going to enjoy this for many more years to come. Great job.

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful job on this piece, i love the fabric contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a fantastic piece. I can see what a monumental task it was, but totally worth all of your effort.

    ReplyDelete