Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I started on the sofa

I started to take the sofa apart and I'm fairly excited about it.
The first thing I liked about it is that the frame is thick and big boned!


To me it looks like mahogany veneer with a solid strip of mahogany along the knee roll area:


Look!  Burlap feed sack from one of the mills in Buffalo NY ...
it's like I was meant to work on this sofa

The innards:



I'd like to take the inside frames with me into
town today to see if I can get someone to give me some info.




Are those lines the result of hand cutting?



The bottom of the seat frame is made up of 15" wide planks ... the wood looks like cedar
to me but I'm probably wrong.  15 inches wide!



And check this out ... square nails!  


Yesterday I tried to strip the finish off but it didn't want to come off very easily so I ended up
sanding it.

It has it's dings and you can see the numerous spots where the
veneer has been fixed but the fixes were done very well.

Next step is to put a finish on the wood.
Do I go with a wax or do I go with something along the lines of a polyurethane?


I'm partying with:
Transformation Thursday #150
MMS Furniture Feature Friday





8 comments:

  1. Oh I just joined your blog.I cannot wait to go back through all of your posts!! Love this!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lisa, thanks for joining!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a lot of work! I'll be interested to see how this turns out. Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a couch that looks very similar that we ware eventually going to try to refinish! I'm curious to see what our's looks like inside too. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has perfect bones! I bet it will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a victorian empire with beautiful wood trim and shape, looking forward to seeing your finished sofa I hope I can do the upholstery on mind soon. Curious about the way fabric is connected at rolls on arm ends where wood is. Ill keep following your progress. what fabric will you be using? tx Linda,
    Inside Etc Design the OC, California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda ... I keep changing my mind on what fabric to use. I have a maroon velvet that is the classic way to go but I've never been a big fan of the dark red with dark wood so I think I will go with a green/white nubby boucle. Although I do change my mind often ;)

      Delete
  6. omg how cool are the lines of this piece????

    come visit my blog anytime!

    michele
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete