Friday, January 6, 2012

Refinishing the table part 4

Oooh shiny!

Fun, now I can watch myself as I eat!
I'm mostly happy with how it came out, but I still need to fix it.
I tried the tip that I got from my dad about applying the varnish with a cheese cloth
dampened with mineral spirits but it didn't work out.  
In fact the cheese cloth left more lint than anything I had used up to that point so I'm thinking that I didn't hear the tip correctly because I can't image any
 woodworking magazine telling peoples to try that technique.


 While waiting for that lint-loaded-layer to dry I had a DOH! moment ... 
I remembered that we have a gallon of Carver Tripp Liquid Plastic stashed away.
It's the polyurethane that we used on our wood floors when we installed over 11 years ago.
 DOH! why didn't I remember that right away!?


In my haste to complete this project I applied the poly full strength.
I'm guessing the 10+ years has effected the viscosity because while it stirred up well in the can it
didn't level once applied.  You can see what I mean by looking at the hand/reflection photo above, the camera lens looks wavy because the poly didn't level.

Not the best of pictures but I like how the shine reflects and mirrors so nicely.

I let that layer dry and I did one more.  This time though I wrapped a stain pad inside a piece of pantyhose ... figuring that the pad 
would hold the poly while the pantyhose wouldn't hold lint.
I thinned the poly at a ratio of 1:1 with mineral spirits 
and the finish turned out great.
I would like to say the project is completed but the waviness from the first Liquid Plastic
layer bothers me.  I would rather use an electric sander 
to level out the waves but don't want to
subject our house to that amount of dust so I will put that part off 
until spring so I can work outside.

By the way, check out the legs ... aren't they lovely?  I top coated the entire base with Minwax 
Polycrylic and the finish is fantastic.  
I didn't use that on the table top because I wanted something more durable but
it's perfect for the base.

After
I'll do a post showing the table assembled back together and upstairs once I have that done.
First I have to paint and change the setup in the dining room ... we've been using it
as a computer room but that's going to change now that we have a
shiny pretty table.

This is a Before shot, now scroll back up to the After ; )



2 comments:

  1. Wow, Ruthie. That was a lot of work. It looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it up in your dining room.

    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lovely lady.
    Wow you did a great job on your Table... I know this was a lot of work all the sanding!!! Looks Gorgeous now. I also can't wait to see this in your dining room. Let me know if you post it ok!!!
    Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape. I'am working on one today.
    Hope you and family have a wonderful Day with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete