Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dining Table Completed

I'm soooo happy with how it turned out!

Slightly dusty from removing paint tarps in the room, but you can still see the nice finish.



Here's the shortened version of the project rundown:
A) I finally decide how I want to refinish the table ... paint on the base, stain on the top
B) Sand, sand, sand
C) Change of plans ... hey why not just stain the whole thing?
D) Begin stripping the base ... oh this is why ... stupid round, detailed legs!
E) Hand sand, hand sand, hand sand stupid legs ( I'm just playing.  I think the legs are the best part of the table ) 
F) Time to stain in Ebony
G) Ick, I don't like the look of ebony ... recoat 3x's to get a darker result ... still a no go
H) Switch to Classic Black polyshade ... 3 coats ... ooh pretty
I) Spar varnish on the table top for a more durable finish
J) Too much lint, sand & re-apply spar
K) Air bubbles, sand & re-apply spar
L) Brush streaks, sand & re-apply spar
M) Air bubbles, sand & re-apply spar
N) I'll try a can of spray spar ... bad, bad evil spray varnish!
O) Sand & re-apply spar, too much lint and air bubbles
P) WHAT THE ...!!! 
Q) Used up the entire quart of spar, now what?
R) Oh yeahhhhhh, we still have Liquid Plastic
S) Apply liquid plastic ... 10+ years of a sedentary lifestyle makes it not want to play nicely
T) Sand & re-apply thinned liquid plastic ... still wavey but better
U) Very nice weather outside, gotta take advantage of it and sand down the waviness
V) C'mon let this be the last application ... 
Winner!!!

After that last application I tip-toed up the steps and when Tim asked me how it 
turned out, I shushed him ... if we don't talk about it, we don't jinx it.

The room is still in progress but the table and chairs are done and in place!


A lot of things look great far away, but check out that close up ... smoooooth!

It's been a long haul ... right around 2 months of work.
I've woken up with tendonitis in my elbows many mornings 
from all of the sanding.
Chucked paint brushes across the room in total frustration.
Walked away in tears feeling inept.

Before

After
I can point out each flaw that is on here ... but they are MY flaws.
There are only a couple and they aren't there from lack of trying or lack of interest ... 
they are there because that's just how it goes.
Perfect finishes come from companies that are equipped
with lint/dust free rooms, professional sprayers and specially mixed finishes.
This table isn't perfect and it wasn't refinished by a master craftsman ...
but when I look at that table I feel like one ; ) 

The DIY Show Off

39 comments:

  1. Ruthie, you must have the patience of a Saint. There is no way I would have tackled that, that many times... would have landed in the burn pile.

    I have NO patience. I just say, that is the story it is trying to tell and leave it to tell...lol.

    You did however do an amazing job. You should be so proud. I love the whole design of the table. Your dining room is looking mighty fine my dear.

    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! The dining room is coming along ... just some finishing touches and it should be done ; )

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! That's a lot of sanding :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about your journey. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who cries in frustration:) The results are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nahhh, you aren't the only one! I've learned that for me, if I let frustration-tears flow it helps me to regroup before moving forward ... sort of like a pressure valve.
      I leak, I'm ok with it ; )

      Delete
  4. WOW! That is gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create!

    By the way, you have word verification on. If you're interested, I have a post that tells you how to turn it off so you get more comments from your fans! And this table deserves comments :) http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2011/12/bloggy-tips-101.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Christina, your kind comment makes me smile.
    What doesn't make me smile is that word verification was on ... I KNOW that I had it set to 'no' in the past but I guess it defaulted back to yes when I switched to the new layout.
    I really appreciate you letting me know ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto what Deb said. You really must have the patience of a Saint. I'm too lazy to go past 3 coats to fix something...3 easy coats at that...lol. Your hard work paid off though. The table is beautiful and it looks professionally done. You should be proud :)

    Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  7. {You are SO welcome about the 'heads up.'} I'm featuring your gorgeous table on my Facebook page tonight as part of a kitchen / dining theme <3
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Igottacreate/100573240032625?sk=wall

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh - look at all those steps!! It looks really good though, well worth it! Looked so good it made me click over from Met Monday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samantha ... and thanks for stopping by ; )

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Oh Lucy you made me bust out laughing ... thank you!

      Delete
  10. That was some major project!

    Thanks so much for linking up with our "Impossibilities" challenge!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the party ... it's a great idea!

      Delete
  11. Sometimes things can be soooo frustrating, but in the end it is all worth it! You Rocked that Table!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that table is absolutely awesome and worth all the hard work! It's absolutely beautiful! Great job!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are one patient gal - the results are stunning! Now, slide on up to that table with a nice glass of vino - you deserve it!! Thanks so much for joining our Impossibilities Challenge! New follower.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruthie, this was so fabulous I just had to feature you over at I Gotta Create! Thanks again for linking up :) You can grab a button!
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/02/kiss-tell-features-week-4-new-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Ruthie! This is awesome! Thank goodness, that was the last step, you almost ran out of the alphabet. :)

    Thanks so much for linking up! Karah

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you did an awesome job! Wow, what a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ruthie,
    Your fabulous table is being featured in the Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge!
    http://www.eclecticallyvintage.com/4/post/2012/02/imagine-the-impossibilities-fabulous-features.html
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Kelly, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  18. Incredible finish....it looks like glass! Congrats on the feature from Kelly.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Gorgeous! I'm getting ready to refinish my table (if I ever really figure out what to do with it). It's refreshing to see that you went through a lot of trials and still came out victorious. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous! I'm the one who mentioned "fish eye" eliminator in response to your earlier post. I'm so glad that wasn't the problem after all. You certainly got a beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca ... I too am glad it wasn't a problem, but thanks for the heads-up anyway ;)

      Delete
  21. Hey nice post and it is also helpful for me but i also want some better post related to Dinning table(Matbord),please share if u have.


    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  22. Furniture design changes very fast, so buy good looking furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your method of explaining in the blog that’s superb I have now words to praise your blog. Dining Table

    ReplyDelete