Guess how much I paid for this ... go on, guess!
Did you say $5?
Welllll .... actually you're kind of right.
I went to an auction last week to pick up some upholstering supplies. I walked away with some great bargains but this one is by far my favorite.
I don't know what it is, but I love it.
It was paired up with a little desk. I didn't want the desk but
I figured that I would just clean, paint and donate it to the church thrift store. I put in the first bid for $5 ... no one countered. Up for auction and sold in about 45 seconds.
A few minutes after I won the bid a gentleman asked me if I would be willing to sell the desk for $3 ... heck yeah!
A little side note here for anyone new going to auctions ... if something that you want gets sold in a bunch-lot ask the winner if they want to sell
that one item to you.
Chances are that they wanted only one thing in the lot as well ... it can be a win win situation for both.
So in the end I paid only $2 and I didn't have to haul the desk home ... super-fantastic!
Just look at all of those nooks and crannies!
Once I got everything home I was able to take a good look at it. Structurally it was very sound ... the bottom and sides are made out of 6/4 x 8 lumber ... substantial I tell ya!
So yes, very solid but grimy as all get-out. You can see in the picture below where I cleaned some of the grime off.
I originally thought that I would be able to dust it off, wipe it
down and then I would be all set to go.
Ummm yeahhhh, that didn't happen.
First thing I did was vacuumed ... not enough ... brush and compressor with air gun nozzle ... not enough ... scrub brush with murphy's oil soap ... not enough and very time consuming.
The only way I was going to be able to get that thing cleaned up was to
take the back off of it to get the slats out.
Each space between the wooden slats is about 3" wide ... fun to look at but not so fun when it comes to cleaning.
20 slots and 4 rows = 320 cramped corners ... nothankyou!
So I took it outside again and took the screws out of the back ... my gag reflex was working overtime that day. Sometimes old furniture is just gross!!
The slats were removed.
Some of the paint was flaking off just from washing it so I switched to a hand sander and went to town.
Not only did every slat have to be sanded on each side but then each one had to be wiped down with a damp cloth to remove the dust so I could move on to the next step ... staining.
I used Minwax Polyshade. If there ever was a project that could use a shortcut, this was it!
In the picture below you can see where I compared the old
finish to the new one.
Ha, it looks like they're clapping ( probably happy that they aren't so
dry anymore. )
And here is the finished project. I cheated and took it outside yesterday
so the daylight would show you just how rich the color came out.
I didn't sand the slats or the insides completely down to bare wood ... I only took off the grime and what was already loose.
Part of me is cringing because the proper step would have been to completely remove the old finish but I just couldn't do it. I still don't know what this thing is but I do know that it has some age on it.
The only thing I did to the original paint was wash it. I can't decide if it's grey or blue but it brightened up so nicely after it's bath and it's lovely to look at.
At first I thought that it is an old postal/mail slot ... but the wire on the back makes me think that's not it.
I did a search and found a couple of items that look like this
and they share the label of 'pigeon hole'.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, and I may even sell it ... but for now it's going into my work room.
I'm partying with the fabulous peoples below!
Thrifty Decor Chick
Thrifty Decor Chick