Monday, December 19, 2011

Refinishing the table part 3

I've lost count of how
many finishing coats I have on
this table.
I'm thinking 7... with one more to go.

Hazy & bumpy to the touch
Each coat either ends up streaky or has air bubbles.
So for the fifth attempt I went and bought a can of spray varnish 
hoping that would produce better results but instead it 
turned out to be a disaster.
It ended up hazy and foamy.  I let the spray dry overnight and
when I checked it out in the morning the finish was bumpy and rolled up
into gunky little balls when I rubbed my hand along it.
Four complete sandings later the spray coat was removed and I went
back to using a brush but the air bubbles still keep rearing their ugly little heads.  
The top measures out to be 70" long ... I wonder if the size of the surface has something to do with it.

Air bubbles and streaks ... oh you dirty dawg!
I use the correct brush, apply a thin coat
and tip off but I can't manage a flawless finish.
Yesterday I discussed this with my dad and he suggested using a rag
instead of a brush.  Wet the rag down with mineral spirits first, squeeze out any excess and then use that to apply a thin coat of varnish.  
I'm heading into town today and will pick up more supplies and return the evil spray can!
I've never returned used paint before and feel slightly rude 
doing so but I'm thinking something is wrong 
with that spray nozzle because I can't
imagine anyone wanting to buy a product that turns out that way.

I created a room from drop cloths to help deaden the air flow and
 help keep particles off of
the surface while the finish dries.

Anyway ... I'll try out the rag application and see if that produces better
results ... wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Hi lovely lady.
    You did a Beautiful job on this table, I love the dark color..
    I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape for Christmas.
    Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the air bubbles look like fish eyes? Those can be caused by long-ago spray furniture polish. Sometimes even sanding won't reach the remaining silicone, but you could try asking for fish eye corrector to mix with your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now, I've never heard of fish eye corrector ... I'll do some researching, thanks Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete