Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hallowhimsy

This little fella has always been one of my favorite halloween decorations. 
It was created by my daughter so many years ago and it had been left naked up until this past weekend.


Finally after sooo many years, it is framed.
I kept putting it off because nothing ever felt right ... but once
I saw the black burlap I knew it was the perfect fit.



I used fabric spray adhesive to adhere the burlap to the cardboard backer
and then the bat to the burlap.


Painted the frame first with orange, second with a green crackle
and then a black/grey crackle on top of those.
Lastly I dry brushed a black gloss on the details to get them
to show more.

Jonathan can keep his turtles ... I like bats.


3 comments:

  1. Hi! I am Sarah and I blog over at Three Boys. I am a self taught upholsterer and AM DYING to become a professional. I can't seem to figure out how to gain the training or where to even look. I would have sent you an email, but couldn't find it on you blog:)

    Thanks again for your help!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! I too taught myself how to upholster ; )
    I'd say the turning point for me was when I apprenticed for a local professional. I just worked up the gumption one day, called him up and asked if he wanted to take on an apprentice ... I figured the worst he could do was say no.
    Apprenticing is a lot of break-downs and staple pulling but you gain the experience and confidence. If you don't want to apprentice you can still just talk with a local professional and find out what they had to do to get to where they are.
    Also, use the web ... surf this puppy like crazy, look for forums, read articles & watch videos ( I know that http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/ has some videos that are helpful.)
    Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about you working with Miss Mustard Seed and had to stop by. I'm your latest follower and I am keeping your blog in my favorites for the next time I need an upholsterer. I'd love if you would email me back to let me know the details on how I could hire you.

    ReplyDelete