Thursday, May 19, 2011

Built-in Bookcases Pt. 5

I am almost finished with the bookcases.
Here's a quick little rundown of what I've done since putting on the desktop:
I decided on a whim that the desk needed drawers underneath but I knew that Shelby wanted lots of leg room so the drawers couldn't take up a lot of room ...  I built them to be 5"x6":



Once the drawers were built and installed, then it was time to put on the trim. 
You can see the trim in the background of this pic of the Anthro knockoff lamp (of course I can't work on just one project at a time, that would make sense!)

Next were the drawer fronts, I used the scrap wood and same stain that was used for the desktop.  I put the drawers in place and then glued them on with gorilla glue.  This picture shows the last one being done, I couldn't clamp it so I had to tape it on and hope that it would work ... it did.

Finally came the drawer handles.  I had originally purchased a bag of lions head drawer pulls from ReStore for only $7 but Shelby thinks they are too much and wants something more simple.  That's fine, I can use them somewhere else.


I took the drawer pulls off and put a cord with a bead at the end as a temporary handle until she decides what 'simple' handle she wants.  

 At this point, this whole project needs only 3 more things until it is completed.  
- Curtains ... I'm waiting for Shelby to pick out fabric
- Handles
- The bases/kickplates put up to cover up the 2x4 'legs'


Oh and check it out ... you see that chair that she's using for her desk?  About 12 years ago we purchased a pair of those, plus one other wooden chair while at an estate auction in Front Royal for $3 each.  We didn't need them, but I really like how they look.
They still have the manufacturing tag on them so I looked them up online and they were made by the W.H. Gunlocke Chair Company in Wayland NY.  The number 1950 is stamped on the bottom, I'm not sure if that is the year it was assembled or an inventory number ... but the chairs do have some age on them.
The Gunlocke website has these images below on their history page and it makes me smile to see these types of chairs in their pictures ;)





1 comment:

  1. I think the 1950 on the chairs is a stock number. I have some chairs like that that are from the turn of the century. Also, the picture of the man is way before 1950. You can tell by his look and outfit. Ann

    ReplyDelete