A few months ago I lucked into a deal at the Winchester Habitat For Humanity ReStore. The store's motto is "Miss a day, miss a deal" ... well I didn't miss that day, so I got a deal ... two glass door cabinets for $10!
My intention was to turn them into free standing cabinets/hutches for the kids' bathrooms. They both needed a place to put extra towels & supplies, so I figured for $5 each I couldn't go wrong.
So I removed all of the pointless & recklessly positioned hardware and the flaking paint:
Filled in the holes and slapped on two coats of primer ... and yes, that is the correct term when it comes to painting repurposed furniture ... you slap that primer on there!
The primer does it's job of hiding the wood filler and all that jazz but more importantly ... it covers up the 'previous owner-ness' leaving you with a happy fresh start ;)
Like every other project that I work on, I got partway through this one and then stalled for a few months while I went to finish other stalled projects.
Once I finally got back to working on them, the kids told me that they didn't really want the cabinets in their bathrooms. OK, change of plans ... and new storage cabinet for me!
Coming to a decision on how to paint it was another fairly lengthy delay. I wanted to do something whimsical and fun, but what I consider to be whimsical my daughter considers to be tacky and I let her talk me right out of my first paint scheme. But, when the paint is only $1-$2/qt at ReStore, then I can change my color scheme a bunch of times and it won't cost much!
It wasn't until after I had the first coat of color on that I realized that the seam between the two cabinets did indeed bother me so I went ahead and filled that in.
I couldn't bring myself to keep it just the plain boring solid paint, so I played a little and free handed the harlequin pattern. The mess ups and the uneven pattern gives it a more personal touch.
See the crack in the glass in the bottom left door? Yeahhhhh, that's my handy work. These things stayed down in my basement for 6 months with the glass sitting off to the side, protected and unharmed. I get impatient and want to see how the project is going to look once done so I put the glass in one door to get a visual and I end up breaking it because I tightened the clips too tightly on uneven wood!
The whole time I had that little voice in my head telling me to wait for it, don't put the glass in yet .... OY!
I was going to paint a design on the glass to camouflage the crack but decided to leave it as is ... a reminder to listen to that little voice, it knows what it's talking about!
I reckon I should paint the glass clips to match ... I'll get to that in a little bit.
I left it rough, with the knots & knicks showing through because I wanted it to have that weathered and worn look. I think it came out looking pretty nice and I'm happy with it.
Weeee, I'm linking up!